I’m working on a series of quilts with marine themes. I’m currently working on a piece that is based on a photo I took back in April:
You may remember my original post about this work here, where I was simplifying the drawing and making freezer paper templates. Back in the spring, the quilt got to a certain point, and stopped, mostly due to excess heat in the sewing room, among other summer priorities.
Now that I’ve spent more time working on the quilt this month, here are some newer process photos. First, I spent some time determining how I wanted the sky to look, auditioning fabrics.
The little white dots on the blue boat cover are the straight pins I’ve used to pin the fabric pieces to the foam core holding the drawing.
Now I’ve started sewing the auditioned parts together, so that I can assemble the auditioned sections before cutting the rest of the (smaller) templates apart. This is the part that requires some precision, but is moving along. The photo below shows how far I’ve gotten on this today.
Now that I’m sewing in the masts and spreader pieces with the sky, it is a bit easier to recognize the masts. I’m starting to gain some momentum in the piecing, and it’s coming together a bit better.